So you’ve made the decision to go out of state and seek Drug and Alcohol Treatment. GOOD FOR YOU!! You’ve identified which state and Addiction Rehab Facility you will be headed to. In many cases this happens within a 24hour window, so things tend to move a bit fast. The emotions that come with this may be a roller coaster ride mentally but try and relax, be proud of yourself for making this life changing decision. Work diligently with your drug and alcohol rehab center to make the process and journey as smooth as possible.
In some cases there are Addiction Treatment Centers that offer companions that fly with you to help with any added stresses and obstacles. Once you have purchased your flight and have all your information its pretty much go time. Here are the 10 helpful tips compiled by people that have traveled for treatment throughout the years.
- Pack Efficiently: but most of all don’t worry about packing your life. Most of what you need will be provided or you can have it mailed to you. The important thing is to make that flight!
- Arrange a ride to Airport: make sure it’s someone that is accountable (family, friend, sponsor) and has your best interest at hand.
- If you are going at it alone we suggest an Uber/Lyft /and or a taxi. These are very reliable source as well.
- Download your boarding pass to your phone or print ahead of time. This will help you skip any long unnecessary check-in counter lines.
- Have a Valid State Issued ID but….
- If you don’t, no worries just show up to the counter 2 Hours Prior To Flight and provide simple information so they can find you in their public database (domestic only)
- Avoid trips to the airport bars, consider one of two things:
- a.) Go accompanied with someone accountable and request an “Escort Pass” from the ticket counter. This will allow That person to pass through TSA to your gate even though they won’t be flying with you
- b.) You can also request for a “Friend of Bill W” over the PA system to meet you at your gate you’d be surprise how great this works
- Go Directly to your gate and stay there until it’s time to board. Here you can make some phone calls to your loved ones and get a good charge on your phone.
- Keep an Open Dialogue with your treatment center on updated flight information.
- Spark up a Healthy Conversation with your neighbor once on flight, this will help keep your mind busy. Or just nap you’ll be there before you know it.
- Once you land Call Your Treatment Center immediately and stay on the phone with them until you have walked through to meet your driver this will help keep you accountable.
- Be Open Minded to change, Remember this is why you took this journey
Share and Add More Tips in Comments section to keep the list going and help people around the country get to the help they deserve safely.
For questions or comments, contact SunShine Shores Recovery at email@example.com or call 1-800-248-0637